Visit the Heritage Lottery Fund website

Journey Home
In Service
The Restoration
Other CX19s

Bulletin 14 - 27th February-12th March 2006

In Bulletin 10 I reported on our attempts to get to the bottom of the heavy steering problem and gave an account of the overhaul of the steering box. The strip down of the box didn't reveal much except that a bearing and seal were in need of replacement and that the sector was not perfectly centred on the worm. It would have probably lasted another 50 years like that and nobody would have noticed, but it was good to know that these items had been attended to. However, this did not cure the heavy steering problem.

The bus was now on blocks for a brake overhaul so this gave us the opportunity to investigate the rest of the steering gear. Even with the bus jacked up, the steering was still heavy. There was definitely something wrong. So we decided that we would start at the first joint and work our way back to the king pins. The first thing we did was to slacken off the two bolts retaining the ball joint where the drop arm meets the drag link. The steering was checked and immediately there was a big improvement. It seemed we had found the root of the problem. All that was needed was a shim to be fitted - it was as simple as that! All the other joints were checked and found to be operating satisfactorily. We won't know for sure if this has entirely cured the problem until we do a road test, but everything appears to be operating the way it should.

Next job on the front axle was to check the Clayton Dewandre wheel cylinders. These were opened up and found to be in good condition - just in need of a good clean inside. It would be good if all jobs were as simple as that!

Another task completed recently was the repair to the fuel tank. There had been evidence of fuel dripping from some or all of the four supporting straps. When we removed the tank for inspection it was found to be peppered with holes, no doubt caused by the continual movement of the tank within its supports. The tank was given to Ian Walker Commercials of Renfrew who arranged for the complete bottom section to be removed and new metal welded in.

John examines the ball joint on the drag link - it's very tight.

A new shim is made up for insertion into the joint.

Davie opens up one of the vacuum wheel cylinders.

They're both in good condition inside.

 The refurbished fuel tank has been returned.
A complete bottom section has been welded in.